Friday, November 19, 2010

Identity

I have been in deep thought lately about one thing...WHO AM I? Many times I think about how I view myself or how others see me, yet I always come away from that thinking, "I'm nothing special." Don't get me wrong, I am not here implying that I think bad of myself or am worried about the views, expressions, or implications made by other people. I simply wonder what people think of me or what I truly think of myself.

In losing a Grandfather & a Father in less then 2 weeks, I have found myself contemplating my identity. If I were to die, what would people say about me at a memorial service? Would they value their time with me & wish for more? Would they be sad I'm gone, but be relieved I'm not longer here? Would they tell of my story, character, & presence or would they be grasping at straws to say nice things? What identity would shine through at that moment? It is the perfect example of your legacy when people gather to comemorate your life.

Yet, profoundly I was brought to Matthew 16:15-17. Jesus himself looked at his disciples, facing his own death, & said "Who do you say I am?" See Jesus wanted to know who they truly thought he was. Not the right answer, not the feel good answer, & not even the elequent answer. He simply wanted the truth...WHO DO YOU SAY I AM? I know how Jesus see's me. He see's me as His beloved, His chosen one, His treasure, & His child! I am confident & comfortable in my identity in Christ. But, who do YOU say that I am?

You see, I can live in my religious bubble, go to church every Sunday, "pray" for people when they need it, & walk an upright & moral life. However, what difference am I really making on the world? Matthew 5:16 talks about letting your light shine before men. As religous people, we get so caught up on doing the right thing, not sinning, & being a good person. I'm here to say today that I don't want to just be a good person. I don't want people to just say about me at my memorial service that I lived a great life. I don't want people to just say that I had great character. I don't want people to say just say that I will be greatly missed.

If all I live for is to be a good Christian, then I believe I have missed Jesus' point all together. Jesus came to do away with the law/religion so that we may "live life to the fullest" (John 10:10). Jesus said in John 14:12 that we will do even greater things then He did.

When I pass away, I want it to be said of me:
  • He walked in power
  • He healed the sick
  • He saved the lost
  • He served the downtrodden
  • He layed his life down for his friends
  • He moved me to righteousness
  • He led me into Jesus' arms
  • He walked his faith out with such authority
  • He mentored
  • He discipled
  • He LOVED
My Grandfather & Father lived great lives & were great men that I highly respect & miss. However, in reflection of them I realize now more then ever that their ceiling is my floor. The legacy that they left is where I get to begin. I want so much more for myself & in all respect I know they would want that for me too. I want so much more for my children.

What is my identity? Who am I? I am...Robby David Gilliam. I am firmly established in His grip. I am annointed for such a time as this to do greater things on this earth. I am...ME! Are you?

No comments: