Sunday, January 17, 2010

Position

"Position Yourself"...that has been the word resonating in my head lately. How do I position myself & for what rather? Am I positioning myself to be used? Am I positioning myself for success? Am I positioning myself for shear greatness? What does it mean & why do I need to do it?

The fact is we are all positioning ourself in one facet or another. Positioning ourselves for advancement in our workforce. Positioning for the attention of a significant other. Positioning ourselves for happiness in the otherwise mundane day to day activities. We are all positioning ourselves for something. The question I had to come to terms with was not why or how but what??!!!??

What am I positioning for. What at the core of me is my position? Everything I do in my life is showing my position. Everything I say & focus on is giving a glimpse into what I am positioning myself for. As a basketball coach, I teach my boys every day to work themselves into proper position. If a shot goes up it doesn't matter where you are on the floor as long as you quickly position yourself to get the rebound. Same goes with playing defense. Position is everything in basketball. In life though isn't it the same? As we focus on our can't miss tv show isn't that showing our position? As we fixate on the stress in our lives rather then relax & allow life to come to us isn't that shining a light on our position? As we agonize over our already failed New Years resolutions....ok maybe that one was too soon! =)

Every decision I make is showing my position in life. What I value & hold in high esteem is based on what decisions I make. My position in life is a direct reflection of the way I live it. If I position myself to put a great emphasis on such a small part of my life (let's say coaching), then that shows I value it more then the big things in my life (let's say my wife & daughter). If I position myself to watch tv every night & never read, does it not show I value it more then growing & learning? I think you get where I'm going with this.

I leave you with this thought. Value is described by Webster as "the worth of something in terms of the amount of other things for which it can be exchanged for." What do you value? Once you find that, what is it worth in your life if you were to exchange it? There you will find your position...& there you will find the light bulb turning on!

No comments: